Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I love my poo!

I have been thinking of going sulfate-free with my shampoo as I keep hearing it’s better for both my hair and the environment (reasons why are below), but I have had some not so great experiences in the past with sulfate-free offerings and have abandoned them quickly. I typically would purchase the “natural” shampoos that they sell at Whole Foods and the like. No suds and I was left feeling greasy after with really dry hair.

It was one night last week, in somewhat of a sleep-deprived haze, I went to Walgreens and stumbled across a line called Renpure Organics. The bottle was cute and red and I loved seeing the “no sulfates” label. What I also really loved was seeing the “buy one get one free” offer from Walgreens as well as the $6.99 rebate on the bottles. Knowing nothing about the product or brand, I was dubious, but you can’t beat free, right? Worst case scenario, it becomes something I donate to someone else.

I purchased the “My Pretty Hair is Parched” versions of the shampoo and conditioner. I was VERY happy to find that this non-sulfate shampoo actually lathered. It actually lathered quite a bit. The conditioner was thick and spread well and rinsed really easily – no standing in the shower for 10 minutes trying to wash the residue off my back. Best of all, my hair looked and felt fabulous after! Soft, shiny and my halo frizzies were all gone – something that not even extra moisturizing conditioners have managed to get rid of in the past.

98% of shampoo (even the expensive brands) on the market contain sulfates. Sulfates are, essentially, detergents. SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) is used in dish-washing detergents and degreasers. It’s cheap and it gets really foamy so it’s a very common ingredient in shampoo because people like that squeaky-clean feeling. Unfortunately, as you might imagine, that squeaky-clean feeling comes at the expense of the condition of your hair. Additionally, shampoo companies will add silicone ingredients back into shampoo or conditioner so you don’t actually realize how damaging the shampoo has been. Silicone coats your hair to make it feel smoother, but it also can build up easily and actually causes more frizz in some hair types.

As it turns out, Renpure is owned and was created by the Redmond family who originated the Aussie line. If you can’t find the products at Walgreen’s, it’s also available online at Ulta.com and Amazon.

Bottom line: I am VERY happy with my Renpure and would totally buy again!

Website: http://www.renpure.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment